Wednesday 13 April 2022

High nd Low

 So I finally got my British Gas voucher on the 7th so that it was worth less than half its cover value , it took a few days to get it onto the meter because the only post office that grasps how to do this is a few miles away . I am touching my forelock with gratefulness and cant grasp how they have gotten away with doing this .  Just to emphasize my role as scrounging benefit claimant , i asked the local council what is the procedure for the 150 pound council tax refund for those of us who receive council tax benefit already , total none response to that question just an apology that their IT system is currently unable to deal with the matter . Being a scrounger is a full time job, that and admin for other half's endless appointments and reschedules , nothing happens easily these days and trying to co ordinate tests to appointments is fun not helped by the fact that if they get himself on the phone he doesnt make an awful lot of sense and will start shouting if he gets confused. 

Heavy gardening season is upon us and im making the most of having the munchkin for as many days as possible but he keeps being stolen by grandad for welding school , grinding school , replace the brakes on the van school ...lol hes quite accomplished at 13 in the world of rusty blokes , grandad sits on a plastic garden chair and rains abuse down on all the boys heads but they learn, munchkin was whinging to uncle who informed him be glad he can only shout these days he used to chase us with a yard brush  . His mother has said she hasnt seen him on line hardly , its because we are working him to death , hes sleeping well for a change . Baffles me that people cant see that boys and girls  need to be doing something other than hanging about on street corners or hiding behind a screen . Donate your teenagers to a neighbor who needs a hand with garden chores or any chores . it forces them to socialize. Being able to occupy yourself seems to be a dying trait . Its all exams are your only reason for living these days   Theres that age in all teenagers where they get into mischief out of boredom.  Then i managed to scrounge a couple of divan bases to strip and make garden cages of , ongoing job theyre stripped and awaiting painting with wood treatment i already have the mesh to cover them. Today is going to be huge bonfire shortly . I have a load of next doors rotten garden furniture going on the pyre and then the potatoes will go in the cleared ground s , ive saved some very green baking spuds for one row . something i seem to spend money on . Then this year i will try my favourite failure carrots , im hoping the cages will stop the carrot root fly we get plagued with . Busy times   

11 comments:

  1. Having sick people to care for is a full time job in itself. I tried yesterday to get a GP telephone appointment for the other half but it didn't happen so had to start all over again at 8 am this morning. GP appointment was from 12 noon to 6 pm! Happily he phoned about 2pm so a bonus. I have waited until 6pm before now which is frustrating as I can't really concentrate on much. I hope your gardening goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nurse practioner commented that the reason you cant see a GP these days is that most of them are covering so many practices online they dont have any actual time for patients face to face

      Delete
  2. You certainly are keeping busy - and I completely agree with what you say about teenagers - keep them occupied and limit the screen time! And if they get a bit bored - tough - they shouldn't need to be entertained constantly - they need some self-reliance,
    I feel your pain when it comes to dealing with just about any company or such via the phone. I swear they put in more layers of "press this - press that" just to wear you down and get you to hang up in sheer frustration. I have been putting off calling my cable/internet provider - need to psych myself up first because I know it will take 3 times as long as it should and I'll probably be transferred at least twice! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im trying to grow more because we cant rely on our deliveries turning up or should i say fresh stuff is getting very hit and miss here and its often the only reason we venture out

      Delete
  3. I'm keen to hear how you solve the carrot fly problem... nasty little buggers.. I've just been looking online at a bungalow in Bottesford... The garden looks huge and I'd love it. I want a tiny bungalow with a huge garden but there's none to be had in my neck of the woods... I'm very tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we havent grown carrots for years due to the fly but were the only veg gardeners at this end of the village so im hoping my improved garden cages will solve the problem , that and letting the weeds flourish around them.
      Do you have loads of Bottesfords in your neck of the woods we have three in Lincolnshire that i know of

      Delete
    2. It's the Lincolnshire one that interests us. Messingham Road. The gardens all look huge and we always said we'd retire to Lincolnshire... Which bits should we avoid>

      Delete
    3. Sunny Scunny lived there years , horendous traffic on Messingham road

      Delete
    4. Thanks. I'll look somewhere else. x

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the carrots. I have respect for people who can grow *anything*

    ReplyDelete