Wednesday 2 August 2023

Shop

 Well it was big shop day today , mainly because i have the munchkin for a few weeks maybe ,,,who knows . The usual trip to the discount grocers for other halfs endless crisps and goodies aided by giving the munchkin £5 to last his whole stay  the only thing i bought was a case of Heinz vegetable soup , handy for me when i cant face cooking and its the smaller tins as well.  Lidl was as usual a bit hit amd miss . i noticed that they have shrunk the fresh fruit and veg aisles to nearly half the size but theyre still only half full , i got most of what i wanted , no cooking bacon yet again , but i picked up another 3rd off gammon joint for the freezer, frozen food was ransacked , i noticed that the munchkin has got an eagle eye for reduced stickers , shopping with granny does him good...lol  Ended up at Asda for the stuff i hadnt found anywhere else , virtually nothing on the yellow sticker front but i did get a couple of big bags of watercress so i may finally get to play with the dehydrator if i dont eat it like a bag of crisps first ..lol noticed ive got a few windfall apples so they may well be dehydrated as well and this may prove useful for the mountains of crab apples i waste each year , we shall see if im that motivated .

Food gripes of the week . JustRol  pastry was on offer the other day went to make a plate pie for tea the other night and all there is in the box is masses of paper and a tiny sheet of pastry not big enough to cover the pie plate i bodged it into a sort of lattice top but this is shrinkage at a ridiculous level , off the shopping list it goes .  Then i spotted a Seabrooke Crisps multipack Worcester Sauce flavour a rare endangered species in the depths of Lincolnshire , i was looking forward to them then i pulled the top pack out and it was soggy and it had to go to the birds , so i picked out another and it was open it decorated the kitchen rather well and made the cat spit when she tried to snaffle one , you guessed it every damned packet was unsealed , ive emailed them but heard nothing .

I watch a great many weird and wonderful things on wet days on You Tube , i watch a lot of cooking and prepping stuff cant say i agree with many of them politically but thats what the off buttons for . Ive noticed that theyre all going mad panic buying rice? so i bought 2 tiny packs today same as i do most weeks . Theres a whole array of smug folks prepping food mountains and buying lots of ammo . Here in the UK its more growing an allotment or garden and buying an extra box of teabags 

8 comments:

  1. I saw the article about rice being in short supply. I've got enough for now and I'm not going to mess around.

    Just wondering - have you seen Motatos? I've been looking at it and it looks like approved food used to be. A lot of the stuff is out of date, but I don't know if it will help with munchkin snacks. I haven't tried it, but it may be worth you looking into it. https://www.motatos.co.uk/ Or it maybe best ignored. These days who can take risks when money is at stake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ive used this one with no problems https://cutpricebarrys.co.uk/product-category/all-grocery-products/

      Delete
  2. You made me laugh about how different we are to the U S preppers here - I follow them also - some Are quite extreme x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will be a rice shortage. India will only be exporting basmati. So, I have my 8lb sack and pick up those flavoured rice packets when they are at my price point.

    We have plenty of guns and ammo as oldest son hunts and goes fishing. Other son and hubby target shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What concerns me is that when people get desperate there will be more intruders - Quite a while ago past midnight a man was staring up and my house - I called police and I was asked " does he have any tools with him ?" - nothing more x

    ReplyDelete
  5. rice shortage…I laugh at all the idiots buying bags of it. My husband ‘s grandparents ate rice with every meal. The two of us don’t eat 15 pounds a year and I see fols looking for 25 pound sacks and huge mounds of flour. I bake and don’t buy all that they are dragging home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stockpiling ammo....... *eye rolling from America ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a healthy pantry and freezer. After' one or two natural disasters back in the 70's , I decided it was the smart thing to do. It has served us well through forest fires and floods that caused road closures, covid, and hubby's seasonal jobs. I was able to help family when needed. I also make sure to have some extra toilet paper, a good first aid kit and have lots of sewing supplies. I have tried not to go overboard, as it just mean being unable to use it all in a timely manner. We also live in northern Canada, so shortages are a regular thing these days.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete